The quality of your sleep can be impacted by normal daily routines, including how you schedule your days, medications you take, what you eat and drink, and how you spend your evenings. The slightest of adjustment may mean the difference between a sound sleep and a restless night.
10 tips for healthy sleep:
- Maintain a regular schedule by getting up at the same time every day, even on weekends and during vacations.
- Go to bed early enough for you to get a minimum of 7 hours of sleep.
- Keep your bedroom quiet with a comfortably cool temperature.
- Avoid too much caffeine in the late afternoon or evening.
- Slow down on fluids before bedtime.
- Avoid alcohol late at night.
- If you are hungry before bed, eat a healthy snack rather than a large meal.
- Turn off electronic devices at least 30 minutes before bedtime.
- Avoid watching TV or working in the bedroom.
- If you are unable to fall asleep after 20 minutes or so, get out of bed and find a quiet activity without a lot of light.